Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Night and Day

Sheesh!!!! I'm dead tired... all this work and not enough sleep... I'll start from last night...

Well, went to Marina's house to finalize all the songs and all for Friday... Had to wait 40mins at the Paya Lebar taxi stand for Roger to appear and take us there... That guy is perpetually late!!! He's a good guy though... Just very unorganized... Anyway... met up with a sound and light engineer, Jamie and we discussed the structure of songs and all... I don't know why but every time we go to Marina's house we talk about everything else except the music... Now if Marina wasn't on the phone the whole time chatting to her endless streams of boyfriends around the globe, we could have ended way before 12 midnight... for goodness sakes, she has a husband!!! Anyway... it's a good thing we chatted about our contracts and stuff with Roger, while eating the chicken and hokkien mee he had bought, together with Marina's meso... some tofu dish.. haha.. He'd better remember the photo shoot on Thursday... hrmm... gotta find something nice to wear... So in between Marina's emotional outbursts, we went through the show and all... and I found out that Lee Weng Kee is a perfectionist... tricky... hee...

After all that was more or less complete, Jamie made a move 1st... then both Weng Kee and me wanted to leave... but Marina's husband came back and so we stayed about another hour to chat or so... which is good too coz she was telling me about how she fell in love with Brandon, the bass player... ok, not that kinda of love lah!!! She was more or less expressing how Brandon was such a handsome young man who had a lot going for him... his bass playing and all... and how it was such a shame that he got involved in a motorcycle accident... well, he's alright now... but I still have yet to see him... He was my sergeant back in SAF Bands... hope he's ok... Anyway, Marina was also telling me about practising and stuff... and that the great jazz singers she's met save all their energy for shows... cos they don't practise... or something like that... but don't quote me on it... singers like Betty Carter, Shirley Horn and the lot... but she said I have to practise... and it hit me...

Now, this is at the risk of sounding egotistical but I'm going to say it anyway to help you understand better... I've been told countless times that I play well... for my age at least... and now when someone, or anybody tells you that a lot, you get de-sensitized and don't seem to think much of it... very soon you think you're ahead of your game and in a different league altogether... your humble self just fades away... call it human nature or what.. haha... So when I played for Marina the couple of times, I thought I was doing a swell job... of course I didn't say it to your face lah... hee... So now when Marina tells me I need to practise... it hits me quite hard... not in a bad way of course... it's more like a gentle slap to tell you to wake up and realise that you're inept cos there are so many better musicians out there... And I am grateful that she told me subtly that I was inept... Cos I need these wake-up calls every now and then just to keep me grounded... As Wynton Marsalis once said, "Humility engenders learning because it beats back the arrogance that puts blinders on"... Truth is, the humble always listen to what people have to say... and because they keep on listening and learning, the humble improve...

Well, yea... so much for that deep thought... haha.. Don't take it lightly though... I ended up sleeping at 130am last night, woke up at 930am and replied to my dad's email... he still wants me to scan a copy of my transcriptions... after I sent it to him yesterday... hrmm... uni deadline I guess... but I'm blessed to have such a dad that cares for me like that... even though he's seem a bit naggy at times... haha... I actually wanted to blog earlier this morning but people on msn kept messaging me... like 5 or 6 people!!! had to entertain them for awhile.... haha... and I finally wrote a testimonial for my sis.... hee... hope she writes one back... soon.... my friendster is working again!!! yay!!!

Okies... I'm going to go for lunch now and after that write some more songs for Mei Jian's musical.... meeting her later... Also going for Jennifer's worship prac tonight... haha... it's the 1st time she's leading... after I sortta stepped down from the music ministry... oh... I still have yet to write that letter to Nikki and learn Fiona's song... need to get some practice time in too before Thursday... Playing at Coffee Club, and then the rehearsal and photo shoot after... Friday would be the performance already... and Saturday I need to teach Hazel and Victor and go for that Worship Leader training.... Wow, I don't think I'm going to be sleeping much this week... It's day in and night out for me... hee

Manic...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counters
NetZero Platinum ISP Provider